|Volunteering with us|
|Become a Member|
|Support the work|
|Latest VMM News|
Join our Mailing list!
Yambio, South Sudan, Sudan, Africa
This is a 2 year post in Yambio, South Sudan supported by CORDAID and VMM.
Background of VMM
VMM is a lay Christian non-government organisation founded in 1969, whose members share their lives, faith, resources and skills to promote equality, respect and dignity for all. VMM has supported over 2,300 volunteers overseas. VMM is committed to building the capacity of our Partner Organisations through our Overseas Programmes. Our work includes recruiting, orientating and supporting skilled personnel to build the capacity of our Partners.
Background of CORDAID
CORDAID is one of the Partner Organisations of VMM. CORDAID is a member of Caritas Internationalis based in the Netherlands. It’s programmes focus on participation, emergency aid and reconstruction, health and well-being and entrepreneurship. Through the participation programme, CORDAID works with:
- Women and violence
Through the emergency aid and reconstruction programmes, CORDAID focuses on:
- Disaster prevention and emergency aid
- Reconciliation and reconstruction
Through the health and well-being programmes, CORDAID focuses on:
- Access to health care
- Care for vulnerable groups
- HIV and AIDs
Through the entrepreneurship programme, CORDAID works in:
- Small production
- Micro finance
CORDAID works with local Partner Organisations to build their capacity to deliver the above programmes.
Background of Diocese of Tombura Yambio
The Catholic Diocese of Tombura-Yambio is situated in Western Equatoria, South Sudan. It is a very active Diocese implementing many social programmes including emergency aid to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), education, healthcare and justice and peace. During the North-South war it was one of the few organisation which was implementing social activities in this area. After the Peace accord was signed in Jan 2005, the Diocese has grown, attracting many donors to the different pastoral and social activities.
Position & Responsibility
Financial Manager is responsible and reports to the Bishop of the Diocese of Tombura-Yambio. He/she will be the head of the Financial Office of the Diocese and train the Diocesan management, Financial Officers and Asset Manager on Diocesan level and programme level on financial management issues.
Definition of Financial Management in this regard is the planning control and use of financial and material resources in a transparent manner. Financial management should provide relevant information to decision-makers in order to efficiently achieve the objectives of the Diocese
Yambio, Western Equatoria State, South Sudan.
Duration of Assignment
General Objectives of the Posting
The position of Financial Manager has three general objectives.
- Improve and where necessary develop systems for financial administration, asset and store management
- Train the management of the Diocese, the Financial Officers and the Asset Manager and the Programme Managers of the Peace and Development Officer in the use of the improved systems.
- Provide oversight and leadership of financial management in the Diocese, both for the resources and activities of the Diocese itself and of social programmes funded by external donors.
- Improve and where necessary develop systems for financial administration, asset and store management:
- Advise the Bishop on recruitment and accompany and coach a Sudanese counte
rpart who can, by the end of the first year, can take over the function of the Financial Manager
- Clarify and improve the system of checks and balances within the Diocese and its social programmes including a “cash control commission”.
- Introduce a computerised accounting system as basis for the diocesan financial management, including asset and stores management. The system will need to be built from the start, with the introduction of:
- a diocesan chart of accounts
- of standardised systems of cash control.
- of relevant forms and procedures.
- Further develop a practice-oriented manual of the management of financial and material resources.
- Train both the management of the Diocese, the Financial Officers and the Asset Manager in the use of the improved systems:
- Supervising, training and coaching the staff of the finance department of the Diocese
- Training to be conducted together with the counterpart when they start.
- Provide oversight and leadership of financial management in the Diocese, both for the resources and activities of the Diocese itself and of its justice and peace and development programmes:
- Advise the Bishop and the Diocesan leadership on all financial management issues
- Ensure compliance with internal regulations and donor guidelines on all issues related to financial, asset and store management
- Ensure all payments in line with approved budgets and activities
- Ensure all procurement of goods and services in line with approved requisitions, budgets and activities and in compliance with internal regulations and donor guidelines on procurement
- Ensure the generation of internal financial reports to enable effective programme management
- Ensure the generation and distribution of timely financial reports to relevant stakeholders
- Ensure the generation of appropriate budgets for all activities to be undertaken under the Diocesan Development Office.
- Liaise with the external auditors and other external parties on behalf of the Bishop.
- Bachelor Degree in administration or finance
- At least two years working experience
- Excellent Accounting knowledge and experience
- Familiarity with computerized accounting/finance systems (Pastel)
- Good command of English, possibly Zande and/or Arabic
- Excellent skills in on-the job-training and coaching
- Experience with a church based organisation in Africa
No closing date has been set for this role. Applications are considered on a first come first serve basis. For further inquiries please contact your nearest Regional Office or apply online
Personnel appointed to this post will be vetted in accordance with the VMM Child Safeguarding Policy
Job keywords/tags: finance , management , training