The Volunteer Mission Movement (VMM International) is a faith-based volunteering and development organisation that works closely with, and for, the benefit of the economically, socially and politically marginalised throughout Africa.
VMM International aims to build the capacity of its grassroots partners by supporting projects that advance education, health and community initiatives that service the relief of poverty. These objectives are achieved through the building of partnerships with church, civic and community organisations and the identification of the immediate and long term community capacity building needs. Where the human resource requirements cannot be met locally, VMM meets these needs by recruiting skilled professionals from the UK and Ireland to fill these positions as volunteers. We work with people and communities regardless of religion, politics or social status.
The VMM International Safeguarding and Protection Programme promote the rights and welfare of children and vulnerable persons within VMM International and our partners. The programme includes:
- Face – to – face safeguarding mentoring for VMM International partner organisations, to help them move towards full safeguarding compliance and build a culture of safety in their organisations and projects.
- Scale up of a schools-based positive discipline project, which builds awareness and capacity of teachers and school staff so they can eliminate use of corporal punishment
- Launch of pilot child rights and responsibilities clubs in Western Kenya
- Positive discipline and child rights radio plays and programmes
- Workshops and online training courses for VMM International partner staff with responsibility for safeguarding children and vulnerable persons
The Safeguarding & Protection Programme Manager will be responsible for programme management and monitoring. The post-holder will ensure that deliverables are achieved by fulfilling this primary function.
Reporting to the Executive Director and collaborating with the Africa Programme Manager, the Safeguarding & Protection Programme Manager will diversify programme funding and conduct safeguarding mentor visits to VMM International partner organisations in several countries including Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Malawi. The successful candidate will have an ability to work independently and manage a small team remotely. The post-holder will also have a strong knowledge of child safeguarding and protection. More information can be found in the detailed job description here.
The role is likely to be based in Kampala with roaming work in East Africa. The appointed person must be eligible to work in East Africa.
VMM International is seeking an experienced and dedicated candidate with a background in human rights, programme cycle management and grant writing from a range of sectors including the private, public or not-for-profit sector.
If you are a determined individual seeking an opportunity in international human rights and looking to contribute to the welfare of children and vulnerable persons, please contact Louise Talbot Beirne in strictest confidence at with:
- CV – no longer than 3 pages
- A cover letter outlining your suitability according to the job description
- Your salary expectations for the role
Or call direct on +353-1-8734562 for further information
Closing date for applications: Sat 3rd Feb 2018
Strong candidates could be called for interview in Nairobi or Kampala before the closing date.
For more information, please see www.vmminternational.org